Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE)
12/31/18 Noon Receipt
Grants ranging from $1,000 to $50,000 to Illinois School Food Authorities (SFAs) for the purchase, renovation, and replacement of school food service equipment in public and private schools throughout the State. Funding is intended to support the procurement and upgrade of equipment that enhances the quality and safety of school meals, promotes energy efficiency of food service operations, and increases participation in school meal programs at high-need schools.
The Illinois 2019 NSLP Equipment Assistance Grant will grant funding to eligible SFAs (School Food Authorities) to assist in purchasing, renovating, or replacing equipment needed to serve healthier school meals, improve food safety, and expand access to school meals. The program awards funds to School Food Authorities that have schools participating in the National School Lunch Program. The funds are used to reimburse preapproved purchases and/or renovation of equipment used for the improvement of school meal programs. Students will gain increased access to better quality, healthier school meals.
The term equipment, for purposes of this program, is defined by federal regulation as tangible personal property having a useful life of more than one year and a per-unit acquisition cost that equals or exceeds the lesser of the capitalization level established by the non-federal entity for financial statement purposes, or $5,000. For this year only, Congress has specified the grants issued under this funding opportunity are for purchase of equipment with a value of greater than $1,000.
Examples of equipment include, but are not limited to, refrigeration (reach-in or walk-in, if efficiently sized), preparation equipment (convection oven, combination oven, steamer, tilt skillet, food processor), serving line (effective flow and components, including merchandising), holding cabinet, dishwasher, shelving, salad bar, food transport carts, carriers, and point-of-sale system. Funds may only be used for equipment specified in the award letter unless an amendment is approved prior.
When purchasing equipment through this grant program, grant recipients must follow all applicable local, state, and federal procurement requirements. (See Equipment Procurement Regulations listed in Supporting Documents below.)
1. Priority Points
- Free and Reduced-Price Eligibility Percentage (25)
- Schools that have not previously received a grant (25)
- Schools that participate in the School Breakfast Program (10)
2. Specific Criteria
- Section 1: Applicant demonstrates high-need for equipment requests (10)
- Section 2: Applicant demonstrates consideration of how the grant award will provide meaningful impacts on nutrition and quality of school meals (10)
- Section 3: Applicant demonstrates an understanding of Smarter Lunchroom strategies and commits to adopting lunchroom changes that provide more convenience and appeal to the student population (10)
- Section 4: Applicant demonstrates capacity to execute the grant project in accordance with grant requirements (10)
GrantWatch ID#: 143827
Grant awards will range from a minimum of $1,000 to a maximum of $50,000 per SFA.
The grant period will begin no sooner than April 1, 2019, and will extend from the execution date of the grant until September 30, 2020.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
1. To submit an application electronically through the Attachment Manager:
Choose the name of the grant administrator [Emily Durbin] from the drop down menu in Receiver Information.
2. To submit by mail:
Illinois State Board of Education
Attn: Emily Durbin
100 North First Street (W-270)
Springfield, IL 62777-0001
(It is advised to use certified mail with guaranteed delivery date and a return receipt requested.)
3. To submit by hand-delivery, mark the envelope or folder containing the proposal with the following information and deliver to the Reception Area indicated below:
ISBE Nutrition Division (W-270)
Attn: Emily Durbin
2019 NSLP Equipment Assistance Grant RFP
100 North First Street
For more information, contact:
217-782-2491 or 800-545-7892
Mark R. Haller, Division Administrator
(217) 782-2491; 800-545-7892 (toll free in Illinois)
Fax (217) 524-6124