Illinois State Library
Grants to Illinois public libraries to help support construction costs related to facilities improvements. The majority of funding is intended for projects that enhance accessibility for patrons with disabilities. Other eligible projects include refurbishing or remodeling existing facilities, as well as the construction of new facilities.
The Live and Learn Construction Grant Program, funded by an annual state legislative appropriation, assists public libraries with construction costs in their facilities. Grants are awarded based on recommendations from a statewide committee following a review process.
Remodeling for Accessibility:
- 70-100 percent of total project funds must be used specifically for remodeling an existing building for compliance with the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Available to public libraries with limited funds with incomes of less than $15 per capita.
- Remodeling or refurbishing existing library buildings.
- Projects include new carpeting and floor coverings, new furnishings (shelving excluded), remodeling, energy conservation, electrical, roofing, elevators, ceilings, HVAC, plumbing, doors/windows, fire protection, book drops, circulation desks, security systems, technology wiring, and interior or exterior painting.
- Libraries must address legal requirements for making the building ADA compliant.
- New library construction.
- Additions to and/or remodeling of existing library buildings.
- Conversion of existing buildings not currently used for library services.
GrantWatch ID#: 176126
- Remodeling for Accessibility: Grant award range: $2,500 - $50,000
- Mini-Grants: Grant award range: $2,500 - $35,000
- New Construction/Remodeling: Grant award range: $25,000 - $125,000
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
For more information about public library construction grants, you may call 800-665-5576, Option 2 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Secretary of State and State Librarian
Illinois State Library, Gwendolyn Brooks Building
300 S. Second St.
Springfield, IL 62701-1796